Unclear Install instructions

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Hello, I am a application administrator for Blackboard.

I am not a Java programmer.

We are going to use Live@edu and think your building block is very interesting.

But following the instructions i get stuck at "Software Requirements & Environment Setup" is this the required software on my workstation or on the Blackboard server?

I see i also have to install another codeplex project to get this one to work:  http://axis2livesso.codeplex.com/

And all this is community driven?

There is no supplier to ask for questions, support or issues?

Greetings,

J. Haak

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I'm just getting over the oxymoron that is "CodePlex, Microsoft's open source project hosting web site" ;-)

I know a bit about Java, and I am about to try to build the live@edu building block. The instructions are at best convoluted and at worst impenetrable. Would this project be better managed by Maven?

It appears you need to have another project installed first "Windows Live ID SSO from Java", which in turn requires Axis2. Ultimately I presume the idea is to create a Building Block in the WAR format that can be uploaded to BB, in the usual way.

This whole approach seems very non-standard and complicated - as I say a tool like Maven would simplify the whole thing. It isn't clear as to which components are required in the building block, and which are already present on the BlackBoard server.

I'll post my results here.

Guy

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Hello Guy,

Thank you for you’re respons but it looks to become to complex for use in our environment.

It will take to much time and expertise to implement and support for our team.

So we have abandoned this project.

Greetings,

James Haak

Sent: woensdag 21 maart 2012 17:45
To: Haak, J.M.J.
Subject: Re: Unclear Install instructions [liveedublackboard:287894]

I'm just getting over the oxymoron that is "CodePlex, Microsoft's open source project hosting web site" ;-)

I know a bit about Java, and I am about to try to build the live@edu building block. The instructions are at best convoluted and at worst impenetrable. Would this project be better managed by Maven?

It appears you need to have another project installed first "Windows Live ID SSO from Java", which in turn requires Axis2. Ultimately I presume the idea is to create a Building Block in the WAR format that can be uploaded to BB, in the usual way.

This whole approach seems very non-standard and complicated - as I say a tool like Maven would simplify the whole thing. It isn't clear as to which components are required in the building block, and which are already present on the BlackBoard server.

I'll post my results here.

Guy

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Hi James,

I completely understand your point. This project seems to be very "cobbled together" from bits and pieces.

It's not looking good, from my perspective either: there seems to be a JAR file missing in the "Windows Live ID SSO from Java" sub-project, called "ContribSSL.jar"

The link on the project page to provide this JAR doesn't go anywhere. Why wasn't it supplied in the zip that contained the rest of the project?

I left this comment on the SSO project site: https://axis2livesso.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Execute%20from%20Eclipse&FocusElement=Comment

If I can somehow get hold of this missing JAR I will continue to investigate - if I can't, this project seems to be a dead duck.

Guy